I love painting my nails, I often (maybe too often) do them up. When I was in high school I had a phase where I would match my nail polish with my outfit, thats the extent to which I love it! However, the guilt of applying toxic nail polish is beginning to get to me and I'm sure its creeping on to you as well. So I've derived a list of some eco - friendly nail polishes that you can apply guilt free!
But before I share the list with you, why go through this trouble? Why not continue buying your O.P.I or Gel nail polish? Well here is why, the actual production of nail polish pollutes the environment. Majority of nail polish is made with the help of dibutyl phthalate which is a plastic softener. In addition, all nail polish contains a non sustainable resource that is petroleum derived making this toxic for both your health and the environment.
Companies like Sally Hansen and Revlon have made the initiative to make change for the overall good however, until they have made the complete switch to being eco - friendly here are some brands you can buy:
1. Acquarella Polish - This water based nail polish is not only vegan but it also avoids formaldehyde, phthalates, and petrochemical solvents.
2. Suncoat - Another water-based and vegan nail polish that is toluene, formaldehyde, phthalates, alcohol, acetone, and acetate free!
3. 100% Pure - This nail polish is not only 100% vegan but is also has a high chip resilience and is free of 10 common polish toxins.
4. Zoya - This was one of the first nail polish companies to rid itself of ingredients like: toluene, camphor, formaldehyde, and dibutyl phthalate.
5. Tenoverten - This vegan brand started as an in salon brand and grew into a large variety of color spread of nail polish. Tenoverten polishes are eight-free meaning they do not contain formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate (DBP), toluene, formaldehyde resin, camphor, ethyl tosylamide, xylene, and triphenyl phosphate (TPHP).
6. Ella + Mila - This 7-free and vegan nail polish comes in a large variety of colors as well is one of the most affordable toxin free nail polish.
7. Butter London - What started as the first three - free nail polish brand is now 10 - free meaning no formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, DBP, toluene, camphor, ethyl tosylamide, xylene, TPHP. In addition, they do not consist of parabens, mineral oil, petrolatum, sodium lauryl sulfate, phthalates, BHA and triclosan.
8. SpaRitual - Vegan and cruelty free you'll love the nail strengthening polish. In addition it is 5 -free meaning no DBP, toluene, camphor, formaldehyde and formaldehyde resin.
9. Habit - One of the best things about this brand is its sustainable packaging! Plus, its free of 10 main toxins in nail polish as well as vegan.
10. RGB - This 5-free brand is amazing because it not only has a large range of colors but is also has a top and base coat that is toxin free! RGB polishes do not contain formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, DBP (dibutyl phthlate) and camphor. Being vegan, cruelty, gluten, paraben-free and conflict-free, (produced under fair trade conditions) this is one of our favorite brands!
So there you have it! No more guilty nails, I will keep adding to this list as I learn about more toxin free nail polishes. I hope you could find this list helpful, feel free to drop any comments or concerns below :)